5.21.2008

OCD and Me!

...and Oprah. For those of you who didn't watch this episode, it involved Dr. Oz liaising with another doc who used "exposure therapy" which basically entails embracing what you're afraid of, I guess in the hope that you can be desensitized to it (I don't think afraid-of-flying-me boarding a plane to Vegas recently counts 'cause I had to drink wine to get through it ;-)

This doc took things a little far, though - as far as having those poor germ conscious folk touch the inside of a dumpster and then lick their hands.

(How many of you are with me when I say that not wanting to do this is NOT OCD, but just good plain common sense??)

I'm sure I have some degree of OCD. A friend once tried to convince me that I'm paranoid, and I vehemently disagreed (planes DO crash sometimes, after all). What IF I left the house unlocked? Doesn't it make sense just to double check the lock before you leave? If I ever left the coffee pot turned on I could burn the house down, so I don't think it's unreasonable to double check that either.

I will admit, though, that my need to carry ALL my stuff and not let anyone help me is a little... uh... off the beaten path. Not that I have control issues or anything ;-)

No comments:

Twitter Updates

DIGG